Written By Archie Fucque
In this week’s Pulse Report the streets are buzzing about Kanye West's recent lecture to the masses at Madison Square Garden, Jay-Z laying out plans for Blueprint 3 as he opens up about break-up with Dame Dash, Lil’ Wayne's gangsta mama and Ludacris squashing his beef T.I.
[Editor Note: The views of this column do not necessarily reflect those of SOHH.com]
1. Preacher Man. Back by popular demand, Kanye West’s "Glow In The Dark" tour made a return visit to New York’s Madison Square Garden. Ever the showman, the Chi-town rapper dazzled concert goers with his trademark showmanship, but he also puzzled them with an unexpected lecture from his soapbox. The outspoken entertainer urged fans to lay off Soulja Boy and to be more respectful to gays. [Watch here]
"How is Soulja Boy killing hip-hop?" He had one of the biggest songs of the summer. If anything, he's helping keep it alive. You don't have to be Lil' Wayne in order for people to say your sh** is fresh. Open y'all's f***in' minds. Be accepting of different people. Let people be who they are."
Despite the booing from some in the crowd, West went on to deliver a message about homophobia in hip-hop. Perhaps this is a slight response to Jim Jones, who has questioned West’s manhood as part of his on going beef with Grammy Award winner.
“You know how many people came at me, calling me ‘gay’ cause I wear my jeans the fresh way? Or ’cause I said, ‘Hey, dude, how y’all gonna say ‘f**’ right in front of a gay dude’s face and act like that’s OK?’ That sh** is disrespectful. It took me time to break out of the mental prisons I was in. The stereotypes of the fear of the backlash that I would get for believing in what I believe in, for accepting people for who they are.”
Obviously Kanye is not interested in a verbal match with Jim Jones. He didn’t address the issue at his show, which happened to be right in Jimmy’s backyard—MSG. So I guess that means the “Tight Jeans” competition that many of you suggested they have will not be going down. It’s a shame. I was thinking it would be great if they raced up 125th street in their tightest jeans, with a gay guy on your back (no homo) that would settle everything.
All in all Kanye’s show was a classic, especially this magic moment he had with Jay-Z. [Watch here]
2. Coming Attraction. So the cat's out the bag. There’s going to be a third edition of the Blueprint album from Jiggaman. Following his performance of “Jocking Jay-Z” at the Garden, Hov called into Angela Yee’s Shade 45 morning show to kick it Yee and special guest host, writer Elliott Wilson. The Brooklyn MC revealed that he has already recorded three songs for the upcoming album. [Listen Here]
Also during the interview Jay talked about appearing on the cover of this month’s VIBE magazine. Celebrating the 15th anniversary of the publication, Jay was very candid on everything from politics to marriage. He even touched on his break-up with Dame. Apparently Jay stopped feeling remorse for the split after Dash teamed up with fellow Harlemite Cam’Ron.
“I’ve never said this before, but any second-guessing went away when Dame was participating in the whole beef [with Cam’Ron]. Regardless, what we built, it’s still precious. At the end of the day, there’s still a respect in that…And I just felt like any participation in that, whether you could stop it or not, if you’re in the video or you’re on the set or you’re involved in that, then I pretty much made the right decision…”
Damn. So Cam’Ron was the final wedge between Jay and Dame. Geez. That sucks for Dame. You lose you’re company then you pretty much bet on Deshawn Stevenson in a one-on-one with LeBron James. Uggh!
3. Like Mother, Like Son. Meanwhile, the other Mr. Carter (Lil’ Wayne) is the cover boy for this month’s Blender magazine. As expected hip-hop’s current hot boy went on one of his typical drug induced rants. This one in particular offers some insight into Weezy’s upbringing. Frankly, its safe to say he gets it from his momma.
Mama Said: “I wasn’t ever no action-figure kid, if I wanted to fight, I’d fight for real.” Wayne thanks his mother, Cita Carter, for this mentality. A tough-as-nails chef, she raised him by herself, teaching him early on how to act like a man. When he was in junior high, she gave him his first Glock, with instructions to empty it into the first guy that messed with him.
SMH. Whose this dude’s mother? G.I. Jane? Now I see why the guy’s so messed up. His mom is homicidal and his father still kisses him on the lips.
4. Peace Up, A-Town Down. Apparently all that amicable cheer Cam’Ron and Juelz Santana put in the air last week—by peacefully parting ways—has reached Atlanta. Longtime foes Ludacris and T.I. have put their issues behind them and recorded a song together. The two hip-hop giants appear on “Wish You Would” a truck-rattler pegged for Luda’s upcoming album Theater Of The Mind. [Listen Here]
I’m shocked over Luda and T.I. Never thought I'd see these to call a truce. Now I think it time other beefing cats do the same. Here’s a suggestion on a few collabo songs ya’ll can do.
“Blood, Sweat, & Tears” – The Game, featuring 50 Cent and Young Buck
"Shawty Is Da Bomb” – George W. Bush, featuring Osama Bin Laden
Let’s try to think of some more.
5. Drunken Master. We’ve al heard a tale or two about Nore’s legeandary drinking prowess, Now that the Queens rapper plans on losing weight, he’s giving up drinking, but before he quits the SOHH news department asked him to take a walk down memory lane and reveal his secret to drunken success. Here’s what they got.
Are you still the Drink Champ?
Oh absolutely hands down I am the drink champion. This is me. There is no other. I have drank Puff Daddy under the table. I have drank Nas under the table. I have made Jay-Z quit. I have made Beanie Sigel not remember. I have sent Baby and Lil' Wayne you know in a white flag run. Of course! I put Benzino in a wheel chair. I am hands down the rap game's drinking champion.
What's your secret?
I'ma reveal my secret. This is the first time and it's the first time only. I have the iron lungs and the stomach. You know what I mean? I have the iron liver. Seriously, I can drink all day everyday. If I'm trying lose weight, I don't know how I'm going to maintain my title but as of right now, I'm maintaining my title.
SMH. I got a 100 bucks that says Nore can’t see Amy Winehouse in a drinking contest. Who wants to bet?
It’s a wrap folks. Hit me up at email@example.com. I’m ready to talk Blueprint 3.